Weisswurst and Pretzels for Breakfast

weißwurst frühstück münchen German sausage pretzel

One of the things I always find funny about Oktoberfest is that it takes place in September. I've never been to Okroberfest, but Lidl the German supermarket always has special Oktoberfest food for sale during this time. Two things I bought this year were weisswurst and weisswurst mustard. Weißwurst is a traditional Bavarian sausage made from minced veal and pork,. and flavoured with parsley, lemon, mace, onions, ginger, and cardamom. The mustard to accompany the sausages is a brown and sweet style that would go perfectly with ham as well.

weißwurst senf frühstück münchen German sausage
I was raised with the boxed cereal and toast with jam style of breakfast typical of North America, but I haven't bought a box of cereal in about 20 years. I'm spoiled by wienerbrød now, and am used to eating strong cheese and jam on tebirkes for breakfast. I was still surprised to discover that Weißwurst with pretzels, mustard, and beer is a traditional breakfast in Bavaria. 

Weisswurst are fresh sausages with no preservatives and need to be eaten soon after they are made. Although most weisswurst in supermarkets are fully cooked and refrigerated, so can be eaten at anytime, the tradition of eating them before noon is still adhered to. 

The sausages are warmed gently in water to not to split the casings, then brought to the table served in the hot water to keep them warm. The fresh pretzels and mustard are prefect with them, and as for the beer - why not?



I wish Lidl would stock weisswurst more often. They're really tasty and I can think of a lot of other uses for them. 

weißwurst frühstück münchen German sausage pretzel

Related Pics

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
X